OUR HISTORY
 
From the founding of Jones County in 1807 until 1905, Clinton had been the county seat and for many years the social, cultural and commercial center of middle Georgia.  Following the Civil War and when a railroad was built from Athens to Macon, commerce followed the railroad and the village of Gray grew up around the depot and became the county seat in 1905.
 
At that time, the Methodist Circuit in Jones County included 5 churches, Clinton, Round Oak, Haddock, st. Luke and Pitts Chapel. All five were served by one pastor. 
 
In 1906 at a Quarterly Conference, a Resolution authorizing a church in Gray was passed and soon after services were being held the Gray School House.
 
In 1907 a piece of land was donated for the construction of a place of divine worship for the Methodist Episcopal Church, South.  The original building was completed, and the first service for Gray Methodist Church was held on Easter Sunday in 1908.
 
On January 3, 1915, the Quarterly Conference was held at Gray, and shortly after the close of the meeting a fire, caused by an overheated furnace, completely destroyed the frame structure.  
 
Consturction of a new house of worship began right away, and on August 12, 1915, the first service was held in what is now our Historic Sanctuary. 
 
In the 40's the church building was added on to include an enlarged vestibule and Sunday school rooms and pastor's office in the back.  This is the present structure.
 
In the 50's a break-up of having four or more churches on a charge came about and the Gray and Clinton Churches became a charge and still are sister churches to this date.
 
In the 60's a Fellowship Hall was completed and stained glass windows were added to our Church.
 
In 1968, the Gray and Clinton Churches voted to leave the North Georgia Conference and become part of the South Georgia Confernece.
 
In 1989 we were very pleased to add our 6,000 ft. Educational facility and in 2006 were excited to add a 60,000 ft. Family Life Center which included a Worship Center, full kitchen and Sunday School Classrooms.
 
We now have three services in Gray (8:30 AM, 9:00 AM and 11 AM) and one service at Clinton (9:45 AM).  Our programs continue to grow in attendance and support.
 

HISTORIC SANCTUARY

AND

FAMILY LIFE CENTER

Copyright © 2012 Gray United Methodist Church                                    117 S. Jefferson St., Gray, GA 31032, 478-986-3668